Widely used serial fieldbus for all applications
The transparent and open protocol communication
Introduced in 1979 by Schneider Electric (Modicon), the Modbus® fieldbus is an essential, open communication standard, supported by a large number of products and vendors on the market today.
With over 7 million nodes in North America and Europe alone, Modbus is the de facto standard in multi vendor integration.
In a typical Modbus network, messages are sent over an RS232/RS485 serial communication link (EIA standard). The Modbus protocol is based on a master/slave principle, eg. the master sends a request and the addressed slave sends back a response.
As Modbus is a protocol which is independent of the physical network layer, Modbus serial line can be integrated seamlessly into Modbus TCP networks, using simple gateways. This is transparent for the Client application.
- Up to 247 devices in one network
- Up to 1km network range
- Broadcast messaging supported
- Standard cabeling
A "de facto" standard and the most widely used network protocol in the industrial manufacturing environment
- Open communication standard
- Easy device integration at low cost
- Easy integration of new equipment to installed base
- Widely supported by SCADA and HMI software
- Wide distributed knowledge base
- Modbus serial line can be used in virtually all applications. Examples reach from small low cost simple I/O devices to the configuration port and control of variable frequency drives. Actually Modbus serial line is used to collect data from distributed power meters.
- PLCs (Series 7, Series 1000, Modicon TSX Micro, Premium, Quantum, Momentum, Compact, Twido)
- Most Telemecanique devices
EcoStruxure™ for Your BusinessEcoStruxure lets you thrive in today's digital world. Make better business decisions with scalable and converged IT/OT solutions. Learn more
Reach UsHave a question, complaint or is there some feedback you’d like to send us to make your experience with Schneider Electric better? Contact an expert
Product Documentation and Software downloadsSearch and download offer documentation, support information, software and video/audio content. Download Now!
FAQEasily find and share the answer you are looking for from our online FAQ service. Browse FAQ
Looking for a distributor?A simple tool to locate easily your nearest Schneider Electric distributor. Find your local distributor
Ready to order?Save time by starting your sales enquiry online and an expert will connect with you! Please follow the link below, and supply your details. Contact sales